Clicky Web Analytics
presentation
documentation
creation
automation
bim after dark live

Monday, March 23, 2015

Revit Tip - Increase / Decrease Focal Length of Camera




I bet you read the title of this post and said "no way, you can't do that in Revit!!".  I said the same thing when I saw "snowyweston" mention it on a thread over at Revit Forum.  Well, you most certainly can adjust the focal length of a camera view in Revit.

I have no idea why Autodesk decided to make this a "hidden feature" but the secret is out now!

How many times have you placed a camera in a space (especially a small space) and had to stretch the view and skew everything to make it all fit?!  Not anymore! The days of skewed furniture and weird perspective are over!

Keep reading to find out how you can adjust the focal length of a camera view in Revit....




This is going to be a real "face-palm" moment for you.  I know it was for me!

Adjusting a Camera's Focal Length in Revit:

  1. Create a Camera view.
  2. Click the "Full Navigation Wheel" on the right of your screen.
  3. With the navigation wheel open, right click the wheel.
  4. Left-Click where it says "Increase/Decrease Focal Length"
  5. Now, click and drag your mouse up and down to increase/decrease the focal length...


Total #facepalm?  Yeah... I know...

Here is a video demonstration for those of you not wanting to read above:






Thanks for the tip snowyweston!!

If you liked the tip above then you will definitely like my latest video series BIM After Dark - Volume 2. In Volume 2, I take you through the process of creating Construction Documents from a design model. During our journey I throw in little tips just like this one to increase efficiency which ultimately leads to bigger bottom lines! Check out BIM After Dark Volume 2 today...